Centennial and millennial trees
Since the introduction of the first olive trees by the Greeks and Phoenicians more than 2,500 years ago, at Biocalaceite we continue harvesting with the same principles as then. All in a natural and organic way.
The vast majority of our olive trees are hundreds and some are thousand years old, which is a total guarantee that they have not been genetically modified to accelerate their growth as is the case with 99% of today’s crops from today.
The distances between our olive trees are 10 meters, and although due to this we get much less quantity, in return this offers us great benefits:
- We leave space for the air to flow, which favours ecological cultivation in a highly positive way.
- Trees are best nourished in a natural and sustainable way.
- We can grow olive trees without artificial irrigation and without synthetic fertilizers, since having enough space between them creates a sustainable ecosystem.
- No matter how many years pass, olive trees will always be able to stay in the same place, as they will never bother each other. This is how we achieve sustainable agriculture at an unsurpassed level. More than 1,000 years will pass and the olive tree will be in the same place.
- The olive trees are pruned and harvested individually and by hand by the farmers, taking care of and controlling each of them. It is like an animal raised in the free field.